John Hart Generating Station Replacement Project

Back to 2017 Project List

Image Credit: BC Hydro

Ranking for 2017: 45

Industry Sector: Energy

Specific Sector: Hydroelectric

Range: $1 billion - $5 billion

Project Value: $1,093,000,000

Provincial: $1.093 billion

Government Funds Involved: BC Hydro will provide 60 per cent of the approximately $700-million construction capital cost, with InPower BC General Partnership (to design, build, partially finance, maintain, and rehabilitate) providing the remaining 40 per cent. BC Hydro will then repay the 40 per cent to InPower BC (a consortium led by SNC-Lavalin) over a 15-year operating period based on performance.

Funding Source: P3

Location: Campbell River, British Columbia

Estimated End Date of Substantial Completion: 2019


This generating station project includes the replacement of three 1.8-kilometre penstocks with a 2.1-kilometre tunnel through bedrock (completed in Sept. 2016); construction of a replacement generation station upstream of the existing station; replacement of the water intake at the John Hart Spillway Dam; and the construction of a new water bypass facility within the new generating station. The current station has been providing energy to the B.C. grid for more than 67 years, and this project aims to improve safety features to protect it against seismic activity, continue to provide reliable hydroelectric power, and protect downstream fish habitat from water flow disruptions.

First Nations have signed project impact benefit agreements with BC Hydro. In February 2014, BC Hydro announced that InPower BC was awarded the contract to design and build the project, the cost of which remains well within the range initially submitted to the British Columbia Utilities Commission. Construction began in summer 2014 and is expected to be completed by late 2018.


© 2018 Top100 Projects. All rights reserved. Site Admin · Entries RSS · Comments RSS
Powered by WordPress · Designed by Theme Junkie